1. REPLACE BEDDING MORTAR
Check the bedding mortar under the ridge tiles. If it is cracked or missing, you’ll need to replace it using Monier’s Premixed bedding mortar*.
2. REPLACE BROKEN TILES
Broken tiles need to be replaced. See our how to replace a tile video below for instructions on working on your roof safely and to how to replace tiles.
3. PRIME & TOPCOAT THE ROOF
Concrete roof’s do weather over time. Concrete tiles get stronger with age and a weathered tile has no lesser performance than a new tile, however a roof respray can add significant value and beauty to your home.
4. APPLY FLEXIBLE POINTING
Once the bedding mortar has set in place, Monier’s flexible pointing should then be applied over the mortar. This pointing is a flexible mechanical fastener which is designed to expand and contract with the natural movement of your roof.
2. All broken tiles must be replaced and valley irons checked for condition.
3. Ridge removed and re-bed.
4. High pressure water should be used to remove dirt, stains, and old paint, taking time to clean all surfaces including the nose of the tiles.
5. Before priming and painting there is one simple rule: if the roof it too hot to touch, it’s too hot to paint!
6. Using the correct primer is important. Remember, primer will seal a roof tile, but it does not cure leaks. For modern concrete tiles (80’s on) Monier recommends Roofcoat Primer. This penetrating primer binds loose powdery material to tiles with oxidisation. For course older tiles, Monier recommends Roofcoat Highbuild Primer. If you’re unsure which primer to use, get in touch with Monier to speak to a professional.
7. Primer should be applied with an airless spray gun, either a brush or roller for smaller areas is also acceptable.
8. Primer should be allowed to dry for 2-4 hours depending on climatic conditions.
9. Paint should be stirred prior to use and applied in the same way as the primer, allowing 2-4 hours between coats. Monier recommends at least 1 coat of Roofcoat primer or Highbuild and 2 coats of Roofcoat.
10. Check out our video below to help guide you through this.
Please always keep in mind that working at heights has risks and Monier recommends all work should be carried out by a qualified roofing specialist. Please refer to your state workcover authority for any specific safety regulations and requirements.
Three Birds Renovations has restored the roof of properties they have renovated too. Check out the video above to learn the 7 reasons they choose roof tiles over any other product!